Wednesday, November 5, 2008

i cried last night

i cried tears of joy...tears of hope....tears of change...as i watched and listened to Obama speak to this country...speak to the crowd in grant park.... i saw the eyes of hope... in thousands of people... people who believed in change....people who voted for change... YES WE CAN!!!

my youngest son Leighton....cast his first presidential vote yesterday...he participated in his first presidential election... he drove from stillwater oklahoma...to edmond... first waiting with his buddy at one precinct then to his...while standing in line he spotted Taylor his older brother about 45 people ahead of him .... excusing himself from the family of a childhood friend.... he joined his brother... i know this may sound silly....but i am so proud of my sons... they voted side by side...
my sons went to school in a republican town...their father is a die hard republican... their friends parents die hard republicans...
yesterday...my sons voted together...for change... i would like to say...i had some influence on their decision...but i cannot... they saw the
OBAMA....RICE...ROTH... signs...in our front yard... both giving me a hard time for my political yard rant... teasing me ...
this is ginormous for my sons... to vote against their father's wish.... the first gwbush race...my sons were still very young... highly influenced by their father....their environment... it seemed everyone in edmond was pro bush...not me...i was scared to death of bush becoming our president...telling my sons if he wins...i might as well leave the country.... providing them a list of reasons from... going to war..the economy... education... etc...interestingly...every single reason i gave my sons as to why i wouldn't vote for gwbush...became reality... several years later.... they asked me how i knew ... how i knew all the things i said.... it was simple.... i remembered...clearly...my father sitting in his chair in my parents living room... he had given up on life...he had no hope for the future......my parents lost everything they owned... during the daddy bush administration... they lost their home... their cars... their life savings.... all but the clothes on their backs.... my parents had no work... my fathers company folded... he couldn't find work... watching this amazing man...sit lifeless was more than my heart could take....
yesterday...my sons... voted side by side....my sons voted for change... my sons made their own decision....based on knowledge....education....and a vision... for change... as a mother... i couldn't be more proud of my sons right now.... they called me last night to congratulate me... as i congratulated them...
today....my heart fills bright.... i smile... and for the first time...in this lifetime... i feel the change on the horizon...i feel hope for all americans...
i cried last night....tears of joy...tears of hope...tears for change...for the future of my sons...for the future of the UNITED states... YES WE CAN!!!

No comments: