Thursday, February 26, 2009

magical moments....

happen when we least expect it..... we experience...life.... sometimes...in slow motion...others... so fast we hardly realize we were a part of it... dream like... floating outside our body.... above the blessed temple... captivated...

working on the remodel...or redecorating of mikeC's house has progressed slowly....each day... more change...more work... approaching the project artistically... laying texture to perfection... yesterdays... goal was to get the ceiling scraped...the old blown on...popcorn or acoustic...texture removed... most unappealing... and messy...a must do... i have a vision for mikeC's master bedroom... so it is...time consuming....to get it exactly as i envision it... the texture..has taken me longer than expected....in my defence... i had a minor...physical interruption.... keeping me from work for a few days...
scraping the ceiling.... was a little more strenuous than expected... first....dousing the ceiling with water...using a manual pump sprayer.... after letting it soak in...for about 15 minutes...i began the grueling...task of scraping....scraping...and more scraping... some of the texture came off with ease....and some....felt like scraping concrete.... standing on a ladder.... arms over head... with the scraping tool.... most likely designed for floors.... it is somewhat heavy.... for long stretches of overhead use.... after about 30 minutes...of pushing and scraping... i took a break...

the sun had come out...the temp had risen.... perfectly beautiful...day....


i walked around to mikeC's back yard....my new favorite... pomegranate cherry water in hand... laid down on the edge of his deck....soaking in the sun.... a few minutes later....mikeC....joined me.... handing me an apple.... i lay there a few more minutes...eyes closed....basking .... when i sat up... mike announced...."there's cocoa.." as i looked around the corner...towards the north...i saw her in his driveway... the sun... reflecting...her shiny chocolate brown coat....thin body....ribs visible.... without thought.... i called out to her... "cocoa come here baby"....gently slapping my leg... upon my invitation....she turned and looked....her tail wagging... walking 5 or 6 feet toward me....then pausing...again i called to her... then again....and again... as she came closer and closer... stopping just a few feet away....most cautious... her belly showed signs of recently having pups... slowly she made her way to me.... talking to her...soft and sweet...lifting my hand to her nose....gently rubbing her head....down her back....mike...left me alone with cocoa while he went inside to get her food... she ate every single piece of dried cat food like she hadn't eaten in weeks..... she let me love on her.... talk to her.... she trusted me...

cocoa....has not had a pretty life....her owners abuse her.... mike has tried on a number of occasions to rescue her....

i have a deep deep fear of pit bulls.... a 30 year fear.... when mike left me alone with her...i felt the sense of fear...building inside me.... consciously i was not afraid...but subconsciously...i was terrified.... fear for me begins...in the middle of my gut...piercing....slowly....spreading throughout my body....causing my skin to tingle....my hands to shake... and sweat....

dogs smell fear...i've always been told... while my fear...was salient....at the same time...so was hers... cocoa fears humans....as i fear pits... for a brief moment...a magical moment... she trusted me... i trusted her....


i didn't leave that moment without fear...it was still there... i did leave that moment.....feeling something greater than myself.... hoping the next time i meet cocoa... the fear subsides....and our trust in one another..prevails.... a new friend... a new understanding...

on this first day of my 51st year....i celebrate.....captivating experiences... love and light.... and gratitude....for magical moments....

2 comments:

mcarp said...

You really have a way with animals. Not only does Cocoa like you and trust you, but my cat Rollo sits by the door waiting for you...

kelley said...

ahh sweet rollo.... maybe ollie actually likes me too...maybe that is why he is always meowing in that demanding tone...he let me love on him for a good 15 minutes last night... extra nice...!!!