Thursday, September 18, 2008

fair people!!!

i spent most of wednesday...painting my living room... taking advantage of the day light... having the windows open... the cool indian summer breeze... not easy for me to be inside on days like these... around 2:30 i felt i had reached a stopping point before i could move on to the next step... took a shower... scrubbing and scrubbing my paint splatter body... never quite getting all the paint off my skin... threw on a cute little sun dress and the ever so reliable flip flops... my summer shoe of choice... jumped in the car and went to meet a friend at the GREAT STATE FAIR OF OKLAHOMA!!!
this was no ordinary visit to the fair... for me anyway... i was met at gate 10... on the west side of the fair grounds... near the old 89er's baseball field... my friend was driving a golf cart... i jumped in...feeling quite special....crossed my legs....and enjoyed the ride...weaving our way through the many motorized wheel chairs... apparently it was senior citizen day... i've become accustom to these types of wheel chair drivers...from trips to Wal Mart... usually driven by obese people... loading up with boxes and boxes of non nutritional items... well... the fair wheel chair people were pretty much the same... fat lazy people... who refuse to walk about... but then... why walk when you can park right next to the building/gate and be airlifted to the entrance... then plopped right into a luxurious cushion seated power chair... with a handy basket for shopping... my friend took me back stage where the fair has nightly concerts... not much going on...everything was ready for the elvis impersonators....dining that evening.... so my friend... and i walked around the fair... you see for me the fair is a big thing... a childhood memory... of great family fun... my dad was the kid of the family the night he and mom would take the 4 of us to the fair...back then 5 bucks would be more than enough cash for an entire day at the fair...actually it was kind of hard to spend 5 whole dollars at the fair... games were a quarter...corn dogs a quarter... rides a quarter... candy apples...a quarter.... anyway..my purpose now is one thing and only one thing.... i gotta have me some corn dog.... which i did... we then walked through the midway... chatting and people watching...however this time... i felt like i was the person people were watching.... everyone staring at me... like my zipper was open or something....men and women alike.... some even rubber necked it...what's up with that...?
the longest line i saw yesterday.... was at the cinnamon roll stand... double lines extending about 20 feet long....short for the cinnamon roll stand.... every single person in the line... was 200+ pounds...and that was on the light side of things... needless to say...the fair doesn't bring me as much joy as it did when i was a kid... however it does bring back some wonderful memories... i actually spent most of my time...back stage...drinking bottles of water....and chatting with the stage crew... so if you are heading out to the fair... wear good sturdy shoes.... and take lots and lots of money....and if need....a motorized wheel chair...seems to be the trend these days...ha!

No comments: